The countdown for this month’s COVID-19 Vaccines: A Global Experts’ Summit has begun. On Friday, June 25, 2021, from 9:45 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. EDT, researchers and public health experts will come together to discuss the latest on COVID-19 vaccines, the new variants, and the global efforts underway to help combat the pandemic. This is the second of three virtual events that will be held as part of the summit.
All are welcome to register for the free event at ghcfiu.org/registration. The event will be live-streamed on Zoom and available in English and Spanish. Follow the conversation using the hashtag #COVIDSummit21.
“We have made progress in our fight against this pandemic, but we must continue to bring to light the disparities in vaccine distribution we are witnessing across the globe,” said Tomás R. Guilarte, dean of Stempel College. “We invite everyone to tune into the summit to hear the latest from experts on what we can do to help improve the health of communities near and far.”
Launched in February, the summit works to raise awareness about COVID-19 trends and the impact of ongoing COVID-19 vaccination strategies worldwide. It’s hosted by the Office of the President in collaboration with the Global Health Consortium at Robert Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work, in partnership with the Pan American Health Organization and the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine.
To date, confirmed speakers for this month’s event include:
- Mark B. Rosenberg, president, Florida International University
- Tomás R. Guilarte, dean, Robert Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work, Florida International University
- Carlos Espinal, director, Global Health Consortium, Robert Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work, Florida International University
- Francisco Becerra, regional adviser, Global Health Consortium; former assistant director, PAHO
- Eneida Roldan, CEO, FIU HealthCare Network, Florida International University
- María Elena Villar, chair, Department of Communication at the School of Communication + Journalism, Florida International University
- Peter Hotez, dean, National School of Tropical Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine
- María Elena Bottazzi, associate dean, National School of Tropical Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine
- Maria Van Kerkhove, COVID-19 technical lead, WHO Health Emergencies Programme
- Angus Thomson, senior social scientist, Demand for Immunization, UNICEF
- Naveen Thacker, president-elect, International Pediatric Association
- Rajiv Chowdhury, executive director, South Asian Center for Non-Communicable Disease Research
The first COVID-19: A Global Experts’ Summit was held this past February and drew an audience of more than 2,500 attendees from more than 70 countries. The videos of the February event are available here. The summit’s third event is slated for later this fall.
Visit ghcfiu.org/registration to keep up to date on the latest event information.